Who Are My Art Heroes?

"Hero - a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities." 

- Oxford Dictionary

When I think of art heroes, I think of people who have inspired me in my love of creating. These people are not necessarily heroes in the normal sense of the word, but without them I personally wouldn't be where I am today artistically. I've always loved creating ever since I was young. I was always surrounded by some form of art. From the way our house was decorated to the music my parents played in the house. My parents always supplied my sisters and I with an assortment of coloring books and crayons and at the age of four years old I announced I was going to be an art teacher.

My younger sister and I. I'm the one in the back.

My mother was creative as well. I remember her being inspired by different design shows on TV and decorating our home similar to what she saw, always putting her own spin on things. As a cosmetologist my mother created stylish hair-dos for the different women that came to our home to be glammed up. She was also creative in the way she cooked, substituting for other things when we were out of an ingredient, and still managing to make the dish taste good (most of the time 😉). 

My mom in the black dress with my older sister by her side. I'm the baby being held by dad.


Fast forward to the age of about 9 or 10 when I discovered the show "Pappy Drewitt." I was in love with this show. I knew exactly what time it came on TV everyday and when it got close to that time I would run and get my crayons or markers and some paper in preparation for what Pappy was going to teach us that day. Pappy (portrayed by artist Michael Cariglio) made it look so easy. The way he taught kids how to draw gave me the confidence that I could draw anything. 

You can find episodes of Pappy Drewitt on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QcCTl6mNtkOG0PJ9-815g/videos

Currently, I look up to all the cool artist I follow on YouTube and Instagram. They remind me everyday that making a living running your own art business is possible. Whenever I feel like giving up I seek encouragement from artist like Baylee Jae, HappyD, Minnie Small, and many others.

Baylee Jae

Happy D

Minnie Small

I can't just narrow down just one art hero. My inspiration to become and continue to be an artist comes from so many people and things it's completely impossible to give that title to a single entity. It's like they all come together for me like some sort of art hero Megazord. I just hope that one day I can be an inspiration to others in the same way these heroes have been an inspiration to me.







Comments

Popular Posts