My first Paint Party!!!

Sip & Dip, Paint & Pino, Sip and Stroke. No matter what name they go by, paint parties have become all the rave over the past few years. And why wouldn't they be? You get to hang out with friends, have a glass of wine and be creative. I thought it would be a great way for me to expand my art business, so I planned to host one myself.

Since I had never hosted this type of event before, I wanted to do a trial run before offering my services to the public. I created a private event page on Facebook and invited family and friends. In the invite, I made sure to mention that no artistic ability was necessary. They just needed to bring a creative and open mind.

Then I started thinking of what we were going to paint. I wanted it to be different from what you normally see at paint parties but still relatively easy to accomplish. I also wanted to maintain my style of art (black female portrait art). I decided to go with something that had a winter theme but also displayed some "Black Girl Magic".  Here's the concept I came up with:


I wanted to make sure everyone had plenty of elbow room while they worked on their paintings, so I decided to host the party in my neighborhood clubhouse. In addition, I didn't have to worry about people dropping paint on my dining room carpet. Another bonus, it was free! Perks of being the wife of the VP of our HOA 😉.

I wanted to provide refreshments that were easy to eat while simultaneously holding a paint brush. I served fresh fruit and vegetable trays, a meat and cheese plate, and some drunken hot chocolate (to further elevate the winter theme). Also on the menu were Moscato Strawberries. They were so good! Everyone loved them!

During the paint party, I quickly learned that leading a group of people with varying skill levels was not as easy as it looked. Maybe I just made it hard on myself. I was trying to teach them how to shade and blend which may have been a little advanced for the ones that had no painting experience at all. My guest told me to make the paintings more simple for my next party. So, I'll try my best to still keep to my style of art but not be so concerned with adding as much detail. I think I will host a few more events with family and friends until I get the hang of it. At the end of the night all the ladies said they had a good time and appreciated learning some of the techniques I taught them.






Comments

Popular Posts