Commission FAQ's

Welcome to 2019! One of my goals this year is to come up with a system that make commissions less stressful for me and my clients. What is a commission you might ask? Well, a commission is when a client and artist work together to create an especially beautiful (sometimes personal) piece of art. The client has requested the artist to create a specific piece for them for a fee. For example, an Italian merchant named Francesco del Giocondo wanted a portrait of his wife, Lisa, in their new home. He hired, or commissioned, Leonardo da Vinci to create the painting we all know today as the Mona Lisa. 

Currently, artists are still commissioned by private individuals, but also by government agencies and businesses. But commissioning an artist is not just reserved for the rich and powerful. Thanks to the internet, the average everyday person can connect with artists from all over the world and find someone that works within their budget. Custom art makes an extremely unique gift and is perfect for birthdays, holidays, anniversaries....pretty much any special occasion that you can think of.

Are you interested in commissioning me (if so I'm extremely flattered 😀)? Here are some common FAQs I get about commissions:




1. I have an idea for a commission. Would you be willing to take it on?

It depends on the idea. I love bringing people's ideas to life, but, there's certain topics that I don't enjoy creating. For me to put out my best work, my subject has to be something that inspires me. I do people portraits. So, if you're looking for pet portraits, landscapes, fan art, still life, etc., I may not be the right artist for you. For an idea of what type of art I love to create, check out my online portfolio.

2. What is a reference photo? Do I need to provide reference photos?

A reference photo is a picture an artist would use to help them create art so they can make a more accurate drawing/painting. If you hire me to paint/draw a family member or friend, you will need to provide a good quality reference photo in order for me to have the best chance of accurately creating their likeness. The photo needs to be well lit and the facial features of the subject need to be seen clearly.

Bad Reference Photo - Photo is dark; cannot make out facial features of this adorable subject. Lightening up the photo in a photo editor will help but the photo will still be too grainy to work from.
Good Reference Photo - Photo is well lit with an acceptable amount of shadow to create interesting contrast. You can clearly see the  facial features of the subject in the photo. 



















3. How much do you charge for your commissions? How do you handle payment?

My prices vary depending on the size of the painting/drawing. Contact me for exact pricing on your project. 

After we both agree on the direction of the project (subject, reference photo, sketch), a 50% down payment is required for me to start the piece. I accept PayPal for payment. After I start, the down payment is non-refundable. Once the piece is finished, final payment will be required before delivery of the piece is made. 

4. Will I receive updates on my commission?

I will send 2 work in progress (WIP) photos to you after the start of the project. You will be allowed 2 changes total during this time. Once the project is done, you will receive a final photo showing the finished piece.

5. How long does it take you to complete a commission?

Each project is different. Completion times depend on the size of the project, the complexity of the project, and my current work load. During our first initial discussion, a deadline will be set.



Thanks for reading this blog. If you are interested in a commission and still have questions, please, don't hesitate to contact me. If you are ready to get started with the commission process fill out the request form located on my website. I hope to hear from you soon!

Comments

Popular Posts